Origami art is one of the ancient art forms that deal with making of different geometric shapes and shapes of different things using paper. It uses the technique of paper folding, paper cutting, and paper tearing to do so. This art form can create wonders with the paper. Let us have a brief look in the history of origami art.
History of Origami Art
Origami Art is older form of art, though it found its estimates in 17 century in Japan. The origami art created using paper was given as the gift in medieval Japanese ceremonies. It is now considered as one of the best forms of international art and there are numerous patterns over the world created using this art form. Paper was the basic form of material in used in this art form. But now, there are different materials that can be used for Origami art form. This art form had created a new era to the art collections of the world. It is one of the cheapest form of arts that requires only the skills and expertise of person doing it.
Papers used for Origami Art
There are different types of paper that can be used for origami art. Some of them are:
- Kami: It is the type of Japanese paper that is much lighter than a copy paper. This paper is sold in pre-packed square size sheets ranging from 2.5cm to 25cm. One side of the paper is colored and other is white.
- Foil Backed Paper: It is a thin sheet paper glued with thin sheet of foil, just like the tissue foil in the market. It is used to design complex models.
- Washi: This paper is also from Japan designed for Origami art. It is made up from the wood pulp of Gampi Tree. It is used for traditional art.
- Artisan Paper: This paper has long fibers and its back is coated with wheat paste (methylycellulose), before folding it. Some of the common artisan papers are: hanji, Saa, kozo, unryu, and lokta.
- Paper Money: This material is a popular form of material used for origami art and is popularly known as moneygami.
Popular forms of Origami Art
- Paper Crane is the popular form of Origami art. This begins with the square sheet having different colors on the sides. It can be used to make shirt, finger ring etc. Kids even create the origami animals like frog, dog, snake etc. using this origami art form.
- Action Origami is another popular form of art that requires the inflammation for flying and the kinetic energy of hand to move. The first well known form of action origami is Japanese Flapping Bird.
These two forms are the most popular forms of Origami and require perfection to get the best shape and design. If you want to start the origami Art then you can start with simple paper. Though, the use of expensive origami paper can be better and you can create perfect shapes using it. The origami art had spread to different parts of the world. Countries like China, France, India, Spain etc had adopted this art form quickly and even they are giving school teachings to the children of this creative art form. The standard origami paper is around 15 cm long and wide. It is of square shape. Different interesting shapes can be created out using the origami art form effectively. These shapes and figures created using origami art are attractive and eye catching. They can also be used for decorative purpose. Origami Art form is also beneficial for kids and even for the adults too. It is one of the most attractive forms of learning.
Origami and Learning
Children can learn this form of art easily, as this art form is creative and attractive for the children to learn. Other benefits of Origami Art for children are:
- It improves the hand eye coordination of the kids
- It enhance the motor skills of children
- It helps in good development of brain
- They learn to deal with spatial relationships, mathematics, and understand the readings
- It is also beneficial in learning the 3-D object modeling
- It also helps the children to identify the geometric shapes, visualization of angles, understanding the symmetry, and understanding the ratios.
Emotional Benefits of Origami Art for Kids
Most of the researchers and therapists claim that Origami Art form helps the kids to develop their motor skills. This in turn helps them to boost their confidence level and hence develop their creative skills. This greets them with the feeling of self esteem and makes them a crazy learner. Origami art is very beneficial and must be learned by everyone to improve the creative skills.